The Student Community Fund - Latest project updates
- The first Secret Sound initiative will be going ahead on June 14th, lesson plans have been created and the class teacher is looking forward to it!
- The joint project between The Oxford Academy and Oxford Brookes MA Creative Writing students was a great success. Featuring as part of the Oxford Literary Festival, 12 students read their stories to an audience of Year Seven and Eight pupils which took place in the Dining Hall of Christchurch college. An inspiring venue for an inspiring event. Well done to everyone involved.
- Reading to Real Life are planning a one day workshop on June 2nd 2012 to include, a special inspirational guest, a reading and comprehension session, public speaking and feedback workshop and a creative writing class.
- The website for the Online Platform for book lovers is currently being built and Niki is currently practising her filming and recording skills ready for the launch!
- Winners of the Best Third Sector Business in Cornwall was awarded to WREN in May 2012 - Josh Taylor-Davies and Brookes alumnus Jack Brinn have successfully installed over 150 smart meters into people's homes. Josh is also involved in a community energy engagement project to encourage people to interact and share energy saving tips. a feasibility study into anaerobic digestion of organic waste, helping out in the WREN energy shop and is involved in the early stages of an Eco Business Park!
- The CSI: Oxfordshire team have already hosted the first group of students and are still on track to host a Teacher Training event in July.
Q: What do you think of when you think of science?
A: Labs and white coats. I also think of experiments and practical solutions to problems
After the event the same question was posed, the student above answered:
"Using a wide range of knowledge to solve a problem and discover new things"