John Brookes started his connection with the institution that would ultimately bear his name in 1922 when he took up a post teaching stone carving at the Oxford City School of Arts and Crafts in St Ebbes. Under his guidance it became the College of Technology and its first buildings on Headington Hill opened in 1956, the year he retired. He died in September 1975. A short biography is available on the BBC Oxford
website. Bryan Brown, '66, is writing a full-length autobiography. An initial presentation of Bryan Brown's research
can be read on the University website.