The Doric Club

The Oxford School of Architecture

Since 1927, the Doric Club has been active organising reunions and social events for former Architecture students and staff.

Doric Club

Historical background

In 1927 a group of young enthusiastic architects in Oxford created the Doric Club to promote architecture with other aspiring architects in the city. Within a few months a room was set aside in Turl Street on the second floor in a timber-framed structure, and the original School of Architecture was born in 1929. In 2012 we celebrated the School’s 85th Birthday with food and drinks at the highly acclaimed new atrium of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. Read more about the celebration.

During the meeting attended by more than 200 Dorians, memorabilia of the School and Doric Club were available for members to buy, including a CD of Reggie Cave’s talk on Oxford Buildings and a DVD of Reginald’s famous Teapot lecture. The insignia of the School, designed by Ablett in 1927, was also printed on silk ties and glass, together with a distinctive School scarf (clearly distinguishable from other Oxford Colleges by its longer width) which was made available at Shepherd and Woodward in the High Street.



  1. Watch A day in the life of Oxford School of Architecture in 1985, taken by Professor Byron Mikellides.
  2. The Reginald Cave Teapot Lecture
  3. Aesthetics project, Westonbirt and Bath
  4. Jimmy Cox celebrates his 90th on the 6th April 2014
  5. Paris visit, 1967. Derek Neale and Brian Saunders with Tom Porter, Richard Kayll and Betty Hill.
  6. For Doric obituaries see the In Memoriam page